[Haskell-cafe] Re: How Can Haskell Be Saved?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 14 05:33:14 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 21:02 +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
>
> > POSIX is a *subsystem*. you are using Win32 subsystem. There is also
> > OS2 subsystem for execution of 16-bit OS/2 programs
> >
> > partial emulation of POSIX API in C compiler libraries has nothing
> > common with subsystem implemented as part of the OS. you have never
> > used POSIX subsystem actually (and btw, it's absent in Win9x line)
>
> Please enlighten me. How do I access the POSIX subsystem?

I'm not sure of all the details, but the program ends up getting linked
differently. The GNU ld user guide says:

--subsystem which:major.minor
        Specifies the subsystem under which your program will execute.
        The legal values for which are native, windows, console, posix,
        and xbox. You may optionally set the subsystem version also.
        Numeric values are also accepted for which.

Duncan