[Haskell-cafe] Re: binding to C libraries on Windows

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Wed Dec 9 15:01:28 EST 2009

Andrew Coppin wrote:

> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > There are bigger problems than that. The Microsoft compiler still doesn't
> > support large chunks of the 1999 ISO C Standard.
> >

> Seriously? OK, well that's news to me.

Yes, seriously:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/erikd/Blog/Windiots/ms_c99.html

That list  is not complete, just what I felt was stuff that was hard
to do without. The lack  of a standards conforming snpirntf is
particlularly painful.

> I was under the impression that
> practically all C compilers in existence support the same set of
> features. (Although I'm sure each one probably has a few non-standard
> additions too.)

With the GNU compilers (and I suspect most other) the non-standard
features can be switched off. For the GNU compilers -std=c99 or -std=c89
allows the user to pick which standard they are compiling to.

Erik