[Haskell-cafe] Re: binding to C libraries on Windows

John D. Earle JohnDEarle at cox.net
Wed Dec 9 14:42:23 EST 2009

There are several C standards by year of publication. There are also drafts
of those standards. A C compiler may comply with a draft of the official
standard before it became official, but not the official standard itself.
Rarely does anyone seek full compliance with respect to any standard it
seems and it can take years before everyone has bother themselves enough to
bring themselves up to speed with whatever the current standard is supposed
to be.

I use the Microsoft CL compiler (aka Visual C++). It has some undocumented
quirks/optimizations, but for the most part if you are doing native
development it seems fine. It is the official compiler so you just have to
learn to love it.

The problem seems to be if you are coming from a POSIX environment and
assuming that Windows is going to honor its conventions. I personally don't
bother with the C library very much. I deliberately avoid it. Its Win32/64
programming all the way with me. That too has its undocumented quirks, but
is better documented that the brief Java documentation for example. Windows
programming can be quite difficult. It is just that I've been around it for
so long.

Windows and Mac are not designed for people who are not dedicated to working
with these environments. I have experience in both of them. You may want to
use Microsoft Visual C++ to access the Microsoft .NET Framework rather than
bother with the C library. There is a Haskell library designed to help you
access the Microsoft .NET Framework directly from Haskell on Windows. Even
so, you may want to work with C++ to do this because the Microsoft
documentation will not explain to you how to do this in Haskell.