[Haskell-cafe] Is Haskell a Fanatic?

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 10:58:20 EST 2009

Hi Simon and others,

Personally I don't see anything wrong with this guy's line of questioning.
 He wants some proof that Haskell can live up to some of the claims made
about it.  There's a lot of selling of languages like Clojure, Scala, and
Haskell going on that have real world examples showing how code compares
from one language to the next (sometimes unfairly I'll add, in that the code
that one person writes in one language, does not illustrate the best of that
language).

I will admit I missed out on the optimization thread that people refer to.
 I guess I could read the archives, but the tone of this thread makes me
think it's not worthwhile.

I think what it boils down to is Haskell use is a choice that every person
gets to make for their spare time projects and if you're lucky enough to
have such a choice at your job, why not check it out and see for yourself?

If one disagrees with the claims of the salesmen, perhaps a trial period
will convince one otherwise, it's not like it costs anything but time.
 There's not even a 90 day money back guarantee to worry about.

As for trolls on the mailing list, I personally do not have time to read
every message that comes through haskell-cafe because the level of activity
is higher than my available bandwidth for reading emails.  As such, I often
press this lovely button the people who made my computer and operating
system so thoughtfully designed called "delete".  Man does that thing ever
work wonders...

Then people can refrain from increasing the magnitude of the denominator in
the signal to noise ratio that has a nice value at the moment here in this
community.  Sadly I think I just did the opposite, but since this is a cafe,
and I had something to say, and I said it, I don't feel so badly about it,
and won't comment on it again.

Just my 2 cents, which might be all I have left these days :-)

Dave