[Haskell-cafe] funct.prog. vs logic prog., practical Haskell

Bill Wood william.wood3 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 3 02:24:19 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 00:24 +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
   . . .
> and the primary way to make haskell program faster is to emulate
> imperative language. and the best way to optimize C program is to use
> it as cpu-independent assembler.
>
> it's all natural in von-Neumann world and i personally don't buy these as
> arguments against everything developed since 1956
>
> actually it supports their's POV: LP is an FP plus non-determinism so
> why buy a part instead of whole thing? if they need to teach students
> how to optimize programs, Haskell will be out of luck anyway

This seems largely tangential to my point, which was that logic
programmers can well benefit from exposure to functional programming
since 1) one important approach to improving the performance of logic
programs is reduction of non-determinism, and 2) often times a
deterministic logic program is very similar to a functional program.

--
Bill Wood