[Haskell-cafe] funct.prog. vs logic prog., practical Haskell

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 16:24:24 EDT 2009

Hello Bill,

Monday, August 3, 2009, 12:01:27 AM, you wrote:

> I have done some "real-world" programming in Prolog and SML.  The
> conventional wisdom in the LP community seems to be that the primary
> path to performance improvement of logic programs is by reduction of
> non-determinism.

and the primary way to make haskell program faster is to emulate
imperative language. and the best way to optimize C program is to use
it as cpu-independent assembler.

it's all natural in von-Neumann world and i personally don't buy these as
arguments against everything developed since 1956

actually it supports their's POV: LP is an FP plus non-determinism so
why buy a part instead of whole thing? if they need to teach students
how to optimize programs, Haskell will be out of luck anyway

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com