[Haskell-cafe] high probability of installation problems and quality of the glorious implementation

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sun Apr 5 16:33:21 EDT 2009

John Dorsey wrote:
> Before you give up, consider using GHC 6.8.* for the time being, since
> it sounds like ubuntu's installer works for that.  I think a lot of
> folks are still using 6.8, and earlier versions, quite happily.  If you
> do end up giving up on Haskell because of installation frustrations,
> come back in a few months and see if things are better.

+1.

GHC 6.8.2 is mature and stable, but the 6.10 line is still very new. The
new line introduced a major refactoring of the code base and a redesign
of the compiler backend--- both of which are necessary for progress, but
they've introduced some instability in the interim.

Version 6.10.1 introduced a number of regressions which would interfere
with my work (many have been fixed in 6.10.2), so I'm one of the many
still using the older line. For stability and practicality, unless
you're doing something that hits a bug in 6.8.2 or requires a new
feature in 6.10.*, I'd suggest waiting for 6.10 development to settle
down a bit before making the transition.

--
Live well,
~wren