[Haskell-cafe] high probability of installation problems and quality of the glorious implementation

John Dorsey haskell at colquitt.org
Sun Apr 5 17:10:56 EDT 2009

Quoth FFT:
> My general null hypothesis is, as Alec Baldwin put it, that a loser is
> a loser, or a buggy project is buggy.

I can't see the world in such black and white terms.  GHC has strengths
and weaknesses, as do other projects.  GHC is changing over time, as are
other projects.

Formally verified software is still rare.  Most of the useful stuff lies
somewhere between "buggy" and "bug-free".

> If GHC is robust overall (which I'm yet to find out), why is the
> installation so broken?

History.  Limited resources.  Complexity and diversity of target
environments.  Moving targets.  Day jobs.

Of course, you have to determine what your needs and standards are for
any product you use.

Regards,
John