[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hmm, what license to use?

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 11:54:57 EDT 2008

Magnus Therning wrote:

> I've heard that the OCaml crowd uses a modified LGPL with a static
> linking exception.  Unfortunately I've also heard that their addition
> to LGPL hasn't gotten much review by lawyers, I'd much rather use
> something that feels less ad hoc, if you get what I mean.
>
> Any suggestions?

I don't know of any "officially sanctioned" licenses that have this
property, but I'd just like to call for the LGPL + static linking
exception license to be made more visible by putting it on the wiki
somewhere, or perhaps including it as an option for the license field in
Cabal.  We need to publicise the fact that complying with the LGPL is
difficult in the context of Haskell, and give people a way to easily
work around it.

Cheers,
	Simon