[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hmm, what license to use?

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Sun Sep 28 06:07:06 EDT 2008

"Magnus Therning" <magnus at therning.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Simon Marlow
> <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> wrote: [..]
> >> That would be serious indeed, but before changing my ways I'd need
> >> more information to back up your statement.  Could someone confirm
> >> that code from one installed module can be inlined into another?
> >
> > When optimisation is turned on, you have virtually no control over
> > how much code GHC will copy from one module to another, which is
> > why several people (me included) have expressed concerns about the
> > use of an unmodified LGPL with Haskell code in the past.  I believe
> > at one stage we even asked for clarification from the FSF, but I
> > don't recall getting an answer.
>
> Thanks for this clarification.  In my limited understanding of
> licenses this would mean that in the Haskell world LGPL and GPL
> basically are the same.  I suppose it's an excellent example of just
> how difficult it is for "law" to keep up with technology, even when
> the "law" is written by technologists.
>
> I guess it means I might as well relicense all my Haskell code under
> GPL instead.
>
> I'm also disappointed to hear that the FSF hasn't bothered responding
> to this issue.  What part of the FSF was approached?  Does someone
> still have copies of the letters/email that was sent?

IMHO, and IANAL, inlining core from .hi's shouldn't be any different
than calling a macro out of a .h...

http://www.wxwidgets.org/about/newlicen.htm

might be an interesting read regarding that topic, as wxwidgets heavily
relies on macros for declarations.

In another sphere (lua, that is) there is spring[1], whose developers
more or less say that the FSF has lost its mind by interpreting mods as
derived works, thus requiring them to be published under the GPL.

[1] http://spring.clan-sy.com

performance and/or broadcasting of this signature prohibited.