[Haskell-cafe] OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

Jim Snow jsnow at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Oct 9 15:40:35 EDT 2008

Magnus Therning wrote:
> Very nice indeed.  You don't have any images in aspect 8x5 that don't
> include the window decorations? ;-)  (Yes, I'm lazy!)

I replaced the sphereflake image with one without window decorations:

http://syn.cs.pdx.edu/~jsnow/glome/sphereflake5-720p.png

I don't have any sort of image export functionality, so I just do a screen capture.

>> It took about a minute and a half to parse, sort, and render with about 98k
>> spheres.
>>

> I'm afraid it'd take me considerably longer, since I have to first get
> all the software compiled and installed and then I'll have to read up
> on how to generate the graphics.  I suspect the latter will take a
> long time since the closest I've ever come to rendering something is
> watching Elephants Dream.
>
> /M

Glome doesn't have any particularly weird dependencies (assuming you
have a recent ghc and a working OpenGL setup and GLUT), so it shouldn't
be a big deal to compile it.  In case you want to give it a try, here's
the steps I do to generate a sphereflake from a tarball:

tar xvfz glome-hs-0.51.tar.gz
cd glome-hs-0.51
runhaskell Setup.lhs configure --prefix=$HOME --user
runhaskell Setup.lhs build
./dist/build/glome/glome -n balls3.spd

(balls3.spd is included in the glome tarball and is the output of the
SPD program "spd/balls -r 1 -s 4".  SPD is available from
http://tog.acm.org/resources/SPD/ )

If it works, you should see an OpenGL window with a sphereflake in it.
Alternatively, if you omit a scene file, Glome will render whatever it
finds in TestScene.hs.

There is a hastily written and somewhat out-of-date tutorial here:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Glome_tutorial

If you don't get an image (note: the demo scene in TestScene.hs takes a
while to render; about 20 seconds on my middle-of-the-road computer) or
glome segfaults, try commenting out the line that enables pointSmooth in
Glome.hs.  If that still doesn't work, send me an email.  I'd be
interested to know what systems glome does or does not work on.

-jim