[Haskell-cafe] OT: Haskell desktop wallpaper?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Oct 9 05:33:09 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Jim Snow <jsnow at cs.pdx.edu> wrote:
> Ray tracing about a million spheres in a regular grid with reflections:
>
> lattice =
> let n = 50 :: Flt
> in bih [sphere (vec x y z) 0.2 | x <- [(-n)..n],
>                                 y <- [(-n)..n],
>                                 z <- [(-n)..n]]
>
> http://syn.cs.pdx.edu/~jsnow/glome/Glome.hs-lattice-1e6-720p.png
> I don't remember if I disabled shadows for that particular render.
>
> There are some more screenshots on the Glome web page, but most of them were
> rendered in my Ocaml ray tracer and are low resolution:
>
> http://syn.cs.pdx.edu/~jsnow/glome
>
> I just now rendered a level 5 sphereflake (a standard benchmark scene from
> Eric Haine's standard procedural database):
>
> http://syn.cs.pdx.edu/~jsnow/glome/sphereflake5-720p.png

Very nice indeed.  You don't have any images in aspect 8x5 that don't
include the window decorations? ;-)  (Yes, I'm lazy!)

> It took about a minute and a half to parse, sort, and render with about 98k
> spheres.

I'm afraid it'd take me considerably longer, since I have to first get
all the software compiled and installed and then I'll have to read up
on how to generate the graphics.  I suspect the latter will take a
long time since the closest I've ever come to rendering something is
watching Elephants Dream.

/M