[Haskell-cafe] synchronous channels in STM

Andrea Vezzosi sanzhiyan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 05:19:33 EDT 2008

I'd rather say that STM is intended to be used just for building up
transactions, not to model your whole process/thread, simply because in the
latter case your process couldn't have any observable intermediate state, or
put in another way, between any two transactions the information can only go
in one direction.
So, since synchronizing two processes needs bidirectional communication, you
have to use more than one transaction.
In the end you still write processes in IO, but communicate via transactions
built in STM.

It's a good thing to expose your primitives as STM when you can, so that
users can build larger transactions on top of them, but a synchronous send
is not a transaction from the start so there's no choice.