[Haskell-cafe] synchronous channels in STM

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 10:31:42 EDT 2008

roger peppe wrote:
> By the way, where does FRP (which I haven't got my head around yet)
> sit with respect
> to STM?

Entirely orthogonal.

FRP is not generally thought of as (explicitly) threaded at all. It's
more declarative than that. It's also supposed to be deterministic (up
to the determinism of input events) which STM is not.

However an elegant, efficient, implementation of FRP in pure haskell
evades us, so people discuss different ways to implement it which use,
possibly, concurrency such as STM or otherwise, under the hood.

So STM may or may not be a good tool to implement FRP, but at the level
that you *use* FRP, any threading should be entirely implicit.

Jules