The programming language market (was Re: [Haskell-cafe] Why functional programming matters

Hans van Thiel hthiel.char at zonnet.nl
Sun Jan 27 09:02:57 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 11:49 +0300, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Dipankar,
>
> Sunday, January 27, 2008, 12:16:38 AM, you wrote:
>
> > Anyway, no we're older, and we realize that it would have helped our math
> > understanding out quite a bit had we learned more physics, engineering,
> > etc. Or had we learned 19th century mathematics well. The Russian program
> > seems to do this, actually (at least for the sample set of kids that make
> > it to the US).
>
> oh, yes, they are really still study 19th century physics, but not
> because of great mind, but due to age of university professors. i've
> studied at Moscow University in 89-91 and department of computer
> languages still studied Lisp at those times (!). a few months ago i
> have a conversation with today student and they still learn Lisp (!!!).
> it seems that they will switch to more modern FP languages no earlier
> that this concrete professor, head of PL department, which in 60s done
> interesting AI research, will dead, or at least go to the pension

This reminds me, I worked at a Dutch telecomm software production
company for a short while in 1999 and they had two Russian software
engineers there, one from St. Petersburg and one from Wladiwostok, both
female and under 25 years of age. They programmed in C and were highly
respected by their managers and colleagues! So, there are at least
counterexamples :-)

Regards,

Hans van Thiel