[Haskell-cafe] haskellwiki and Project Euler

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Mon Feb 25 09:31:50 EST 2008

Am Sonntag, 24. Februar 2008 14:20 schrieb Philippa Cowderoy:
(reordered quotes)
> > Other code was submitted without consent of the author
>
> Can you demonstrate this? A statement from the author that they didn't
> consent, for example?

Well, some of my code was there, without my consent.
That tipped an already rotten temper over and led to disproportionate anger
and an inappropriate reaction which I regret.

> What sporting spirit? The site itself doesn't indicate any such thing
> whatsoever and doesn't ask that people don't post solutions - as such,
> anything you have to say here is entirely about the culture on the forums
> there, not the problem set itself.

True, there's no explicit "Don't post your solutions anywhere but in the
problem threads". However, I always understood it as implicitly given that
for sites like PE it is not desired that you give away the answers. That is
of course no legal matter, but the way I was brought up, such things are
simply not done.

> As such, you've taken it upon yourself to enforce the spirit of your PE
> participation upon others. That's far from sporting and in direct
> violation of the spirit of the wiki. Let people play how they choose.

I haven't the power to enforce my view upon others, and what I did was -- in
an unbecoming manner, admittedly -- to ask others to support my views (let me
repeat, overstated due to a state of arousal).