[Haskell-cafe] Rendering TTF fonts in Haskell and OpenGL

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Fri Feb 22 10:13:46 EST 2008

[cc-ed to hopengl list; are there many haskell opengl users
 not on that list, btw?]

a standard package for easy-to-use, high-quality, portable
font support would make a great addition to haskell's
otherwise nice opengl bindings!

is there a reason for going directly to freetype? from the
old opengl font survey at

http://www.opengl.org/resources/features/fontsurvey/

i got the impression that accessing freetype2 via ftgl
might make things slightly easier, while also offering
more options (geometry instead of texture fonts), or
did I misread?

http://ftgl.wiki.sourceforge.net/

the source doesn't seem to have changed since the
end of 2004, which might imply some issues with
newer compilers, etc?

has anyone tried to bind to ftgl? any comments on
that route?

and to what extent to the haskell gui libs with opengl
support allow their fonts to be used for text geometry
or textures in opengl?

claus