[Haskell-cafe] Re: Gitit - Encoding

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 30 22:39:14 EST 2008

> I switched template.html to advertising encoding of iso-8859-1 and
> things are working ok. I setup LANG (and LC_ALL) to fr_FR.UTF-8. When
> I set meta tag with utf-8 encoding, things get messy.
> John: I checked your url and, oddly enough, characteres appears OK
> when I manually change page display encoding to latin-1. I came to the
> possibly obvious conclusion that:
>  -gitit communicated with HApps hence the outside world in latin-1
>  - talk to git in utf-8
> Is this the right picture ?

No -- if this works, it's by accident! After your initial query, I
discovered that gitit did not in fact support UTF-8 properly. I have now
fixed all the problems I'm aware of and released version (When
you try this, use utf-8 again in the meta tag in your template.)

The new version even allows multilingual page names -- anything your
file system will allow as a filename should work. There's a
demonstration at http://johnmacfarlane.net:5001/Multilingual.

> BTW, my accents problem solved, I would like to work with RSS feeds so that:
>  1. a user could put a feed inside a page
>  2. gitit could produce feeds for changes/adds
> I have done things like that before in Java but would need some
> directions to incorporate it in gitit.

Check out the rss package in Hackage:


More information about the Haskell-Cafe mailing list