[Haskell-cafe] Monades - I've got it! (hopefully)

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 05:56:56 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 3:16 AM, Tobias Kräntzer
<info at tobias-kraentzer.de>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think I now understand all the stuff about monades (not the mathematics).
> I have just one further question.
>
> Beside of the syntactic sugar of the "do" construct and the fact that the
> IO monade is an "internal type of haskell": Is haskell aware of the concept
> of monades? As I now understand it, it is "just" a programming model rather
> than a concept of the language. If not, I have to start new.

It is only a concept of the language insofar as it is needed to do IO
(because of the IO monad).  You are correct that it is really more of a
programming model.

Indeed, Haskell would be just fine if you took out IO, the class declaration
of Monad, and its instances.  And I have used monads in C# (but there is a
bit less assurance since lambdas can have side effects).

About the prestress, that's one of the motivations behind renaming them
("warm fuzzy thing" is the current tongue-in-cheek alternative).

Luke