[Haskell-cafe] Yampa vs. Reactive

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Fri Dec 19 15:01:01 EST 2008

> The example Henrik gave [...] models a composition, and is in general the
> strength of a
> combinator approach. But the strength of Applicative, in my opinion,
> is not composition but currying [...]

Well put, Paul.

I really do like the semantic model of Yampa.  Signal transformers model
interactive behaviors, where the behaviors/signals of classic FRP model
non-interactive behaviors.  (See
http://conal.net/blog/posts/why-classic-frp-does-not-fit-interactive-behavior/.)
 I also like currying.

As long as we use not just the arrow abstraction but also *arrow notation*,
I don't know how we'll ever be able to get an efficient implementation, in
which portions of computed signals get recomputed only when necessary.  And
probably the Arrow abstraction itself is a bit too restrictive, given that
it disallows any conditions on its type arguments.  So I've been noodling
some about formulations of signal functions that don't fit into the standard
arrow discipline.

Regards,  - Conal