[Haskell-cafe] Yampa vs. Reactive

Paul L ninegua at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 17:53:03 EST 2008

On 12/19/08, Conal Elliott <conal at conal.net> wrote:

> As long as we use not just the arrow abstraction but also *arrow notation*,
> I don't know how we'll ever be able to get an efficient implementation, in
> which portions of computed signals get recomputed only when necessary.  And
> probably the Arrow abstraction itself is a bit too restrictive, given that
> it disallows any conditions on its type arguments.  So I've been noodling
> some about formulations of signal functions that don't fit into the standard
> arrow discipline.

Paul (Hudak) and I recently worked on a notion called Causal
Commutative Arrows, which actually gave a very good optimization
result for Yampa like arrows. One notable feature is that all programs
normalize, regardless of whether they were originally written using
the Arrow combinators or translated from Arrow notations. I recently
give a talk at NEPLS on this, the slides are here:

  http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/hl293/download/NEPLS-talk.pdf

Due to the use of arrow laws, our technique remains fully abstract
without committing to any concrete representation of arrows or
signals/streams.

The re-computation problem is another issue though. I fully agree with
Henrik's comment on push v.s. pull. But if one really wants to avoid
re-computation at all efforts, here is one possibility:

  pass :: SF a b -> SF (Maybe a) (Maybe b)

It'll only invoke the given SF when the input is Just something, and
do nothing otherwise. Coupled with hold, it shall lead to efficient
implementation that avoids re-computation when inputs don't change.

Intuitively it's like selectively turning on/off part of a circuit
according to inputs, which naturally falls in the ArrowChoice class.
Also one has to extract the implicit time from the inplementation and
make it an explicit input in order for this to be semantically sound.

--
Regards,
Paul Liu

Yale Haskell Group