[Haskell-cafe] Re: Logos of Other Languages

Jon Fairbairn jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 19 06:19:03 EST 2008

Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> writes:

> All of these get one thing right that the current and most
> of the proposed Haskell logos do not: they don't make any
> reference to the syntax of the language itself. Doing so
> seems to miss the point of a logo: it's supposed to appeal
> visually, rather than semantically. So I'd like to see some
> submissions that don't use lambdas.

Perhaps something elaborating on the general lines of this:
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jon.fairbairn/Haskell-H-arrow.png>?
(Also .svg if anyone wants to develop it; that's a very
quick sketch). It's simple, bold and forward looking ;-).
It would need careful choice of colours: make the H blue and
the Arrow red and it looks too British, make the H red and
the arrow black, and it looks fascist (I suppose there are
those who think that might be apposite). And it needs a much
friendlier choice of typeface.

That's a badge rather than a logo, but we certainly want one
of those. Just add the "askell" part to get a logo?

Jón Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html  (updated 2008-04-26)