[Haskell-cafe] Logos of Other Languages

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 06:38:13 EST 2008

Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> All of these get one thing right that the current and most of the
> proposed Haskell logos do not: they don't make any reference to the
> syntax of the language itself. Doing so seems to miss the point of a
> logo: it's supposed to appeal visually, rather than semantically. So I'd
> like to see some submissions that don't use lambdas.

[The following is my opinion, I don't intend to suggest it as objective
fact]

The first duty of a logo is to be memorable and distinctive, and work at
a variety of sizes and colours (including black and white).

The second duty is to be attractive.

The third duty is to actually convey some kind of message about the
thing the logo pertains to.

The more famous you are as a brand, the more you can neglect the third
point (you don't need to educate, people know what you are).

So I agree with Ashley insofar as, there is no *need* for the logo to
incorporate a lambda or a >> or suchlike devices.

On the other hand, I think it's not necessarily a bad thing either, as
long as it works with (1) and (2) above.

Jules