[Haskell-cafe] Re: Elevator pitch for Haskell.

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Thu Sep 6 15:08:55 EDT 2007

Perhaps your (admittedly young) colleague had other reasons to inquire...

It turns out that (in the US at least) the lambda symbol is one of the
symbols of gay pride since the 1970's:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_symbol#Lambda

If you google "lambda gay" you will find many more references.

There may be a crossover marketing opportunity there for functional
programming: a rainbow T-shirt with a giant pink lambda symbol, and on
the back:

   "Lambda: the sign of a functional lifestyle"

As gays are much better organized than Haskellers, this could be a big
win in exposure for Haskell, like wearing Maxwell's equations on a
T-shirt at a Grateful Dead concert! :)

Dan Weston