[Haskell-cafe] Re: Elevator pitch for Haskell.

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Wed Sep 5 17:11:50 EDT 2007

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr wrote:
> People, are you crazy, with my deepest respect and friendliness...
> You want to frighten newbies? it seems that they have already a good dose
> of allergy...

I am way over 30 years old, and my age would have me agree with you.

But I have also looked at the culture of people 10-20 years younger than
me. The present generations of programming beginners. They grew up with
The Simpsons, Beavies And Butthead, Ren And Stimpy, South Park,
SpongeBob SquarePants... In MTVs they watched (and still watch)
incoherent scenes and periodic Gaussian noise.

Those things disturbing to us don't frighten them. It's their daily
bread. Most likely, our elegance frightens them more. Or at least
disgusts them more.

Show them a skull and a couple of dead body fragments, play some white
noise at 100dB as background music, and they're more likely to tune in
to you.

That the cranium of that skull is bigger than average helps a long way, too.