[Haskell-cafe] Re: New slogan for haskell.org

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Fri Oct 5 16:19:01 EDT 2007

On 2007-10-05, Peter Verswyvelen <bf3 at telenet.be> wrote:
> But where is the great IDE Haskell deserves??? :-) Seriously, 99% of the
> programmers I know don't want to look at it because when they see Emacs
> or VIM, they say "what the f*ck????, I don't want to go back to the
> stone age". If you want to attract more people that are inside the
> "imperative-OO-with-nice-IDE-blob", create a great looking and
> functional IDE.

Bluntly, I don't see why the Haskell community needs those sorts of
programmers.  I like Haskell with a big enough community to have useful
libraries, but a small enough community such that the language can
readily evolve and serve as a useful research platform.

> An IDE that integrates the existing tools. That shows you graphical
> pictures of the graph rewriting process,

There is a tool that does this for a Haskell dialect.

> potential space leaks,

That's a hard problem.

> profiling bottlenecks, etc.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here, but people are researching
good ways of profiling and presenting the results to programmers.

> Heck, why not introduce pictures as symbols and values, as in DrScheme.

Or as in Mathematica 6, to be a bit more mainstream.

> Or UNICODE fonts.

GHC already supports UTF-8.  Vim and Emacs already support UTF-8.  Done.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-