[Haskell-cafe] Re: New slogan for haskell.org

Jonathan Cast jonathanccast at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 5 16:26:37 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 20:19 +0000, Aaron Denney wrote:
> On 2007-10-05, Peter Verswyvelen <bf3 at telenet.be> wrote:
> > But where is the great IDE Haskell deserves??? :-) Seriously, 99% of the
> > programmers I know don't want to look at it because when they see Emacs
> > or VIM, they say "what the f*ck????, I don't want to go back to the
> > stone age". If you want to attract more people that are inside the
> > "imperative-OO-with-nice-IDE-blob", create a great looking and
> > functional IDE.
>
> Bluntly, I don't see why the Haskell community needs those sorts of
> programmers.

Hear, hear.  At the company I work for, all the code is perl/web
development --- and we wouldn't dream of hiring one of those
programmers.  In fact, I think decreasing the number of those
programmers in existence would be a good way to /increase/ the quantity
and quality of the programs in existence; those are the sorts of
programmers that, if they ever found a new career, we'd have to put
three additional programmers out of a job just to break even.

<snip>

jcc