[Haskell-cafe] Searched for mdo on haskell.org. Found nothing.

Richard Kelsall r.kelsall at millstream.com
Sun Nov 25 14:17:42 EST 2007

Tillmann Rendel wrote:
> Andrew Coppin wrote:
>> In general, I find *most* search functions to be fairly unhelpful.
>> Google is the shining exception to this rule; it almost always seems
>> to figure out what you're after.
>> I guess doing text searching is just a fundamentally difficult
>> problem, and the guys at Google have spent a hell of a long time on it.
> text searching is a well-known problem. ranking search results by
> relevance is the key to google's success. read the paper about google to
> learn more:
> Sergey Brin and Lawrence Page,
> "The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine"
> in: Proceedings of the 7th International WWW Conference, 1998, Brisbane
> http://infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html
> http://infolab.stanford.edu/pub/papers/google.pdf

Thank you for that link. An interesting paper. I hadn't seen it before.

I've added a link to a Google site search to the haskell.org front page.
I can't find a way to link the existing search box at the top directly
to it and can't create a 'form' element, so I've created a link labelled
'Search haskell.org' to this intermediate page on my site

If someone can point the haskell.org search box directly at the
Google site search please do so. It currently searches *.haskell.org/*
which may be too broad? I can adjust as required.