[Haskell-cafe] Interesting effect of upgrading GHC

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 12 16:48:29 EST 2007

Gwern Branwen wrote:
> FWIW, I was actually discussing compilation with -O2 on 6.8 with Sjannssen and he told me that even with -O2 turned on, GHC now defaults to -fasm instead of -fvia-c.

Ah. Yeah, that could well make a big difference... (Especially on a
machine with insufficient RAM.)

> Also, the release notes are talking about the runtime speed of binaries, not compilation.

But since GHC is compiled with GHC, you would expect a (small) speedup
of GHC. (And indeed that is what the release notes specifically suggest.)

Either way, I (and probably a number of other people) will go test what
speed difference it actually makes to compiled code. ;-) (I've been
wondering for a while now whether there's much to choose between -fasm
and -fvia-c.)