[Haskell-cafe] Data.Set.member vs Data.List.elem

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 17:48:45 EST 2007

Hi,

Is there a good reason that Data.Set uses the name "member" while
Data.List (or the Prelude) uses the name "elem", for what to me seem
identical concepts. I realise that in Set's the traditional test is
for "membership", but it seems awfully arbitrary that one jumped one
way and one jumped the other. I've just written an entire module's
worth of Haskell with Set.elem, as that "felt" right, now I'm going
back and fixing it.

Thanks

Neil