[Haskell-cafe] Re: Weird ghci behaviour?

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 06:29:15 EST 2007

Jonathan Cast wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2007, at 11:03 PM, Jules Bean wrote:
>> Just to be clear: my proposal is that if you want it to go faster you do
>>
>> ghci foo.hi
>>
>> or
>>
>> ghci foo.o
>>
>> ... so you still have the option to run on compiled code.
>>
>> My suggestion is simply that "ghci foo.hs" is an instruction to load
>> source code (similarly :load); while "ghci foo.o" is obviously an
>> instruction to load compiled code.
>
> Even just having
>
> :m + *Foo

Currently :m doesn't load any modules, it just alters the "context" (what's
in scope at the prompt), and fails if you ask for a module that isn't
loaded.  It would make sense for :m +M to behave like :add if M wasn't
loaded, though.  And perhaps :add *M or :load *M should ignore compiled
code for M - that's another option.

Cheers,
	Simon