[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: simple interface to libraries Haddock

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 17:26:53 EST 2007

Hi David,

> I'm proposing something simple that should make it easier for both
> Haskell programmers and Haskell tool writers to find the documentation
> for a function. We need a simple URL for the Haddock docs of any
> function. PHP has this already: just hit php.net/funcname for the
> documentation for funcname(). My proposal is similarly simple:
>
> http://docs.haskell.org/funcname

A sensible idea, and Hoogle 4 will have this built in. Hoogle 3
already has something very similar:

http://haskell.org/hoogle/hoodoc.cgi?module=Prelude&name=filter&mode=func

Hoogle 4 will expand this to have package=

I can then trivially add a "feeling lucky (punk)" mode to Hoogle, and
you can have http://haskell.org/hoogle/?mode=lucky&q=funcname

Thanks

Neil