[Haskell-cafe] HopenGL

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Fri Jun 8 05:41:08 EDT 2007

On Friday 08 June 2007 01:19:02 Jason Dagit wrote:
> Did you remember to do all the double buffering operations?  Did you
> setup the clear color first?  One thing that you have to be careful
> about with OpenGL is that you correctly manage the state of the opengl
> machine.  Haskell should have a purely functional scene graph built on
> top of HOpenGL -- it's something I would like to work on -- but no one
> seems to be doing it.

I would very much like to do something similar, having implemented purely
functional scene graphs on top of OpenGL in OCaml and DirectX in F#:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/smoke_vector_graphics/
  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/fsharp_for_visualization/

Immutability is very useful in this area and, in particular, it makes a scene
graph implementation in a functional language much more accessible than
something like Windows Presentation Foundation.

I am now working on a cross-platform GUI based upon our vector graphics work
(Smoke). This can be similarly elegant by referencing purely functional scene
graphs from nodes in the GUI description tree.

I would be very interested to see how this is done in Haskell so, if anyone
does attempt this, please keep me in the loop.

OCaml for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?e