[Haskell-cafe] Re: Maintaining the community

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Fri Jul 13 15:20:09 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 08:13:31PM +0100, Andrew Coppin wrote:
> Jules Bean wrote:
>> I find it incredibly surprising whenever I discover than an otherwise
>> sophisticated community has adopted a bulletin board rather than email ;)
>
> Erm... why?
>
>> Conversely, a bulletin board cannot be read offline, traps users into a
>> single UI (in every case I've used, slow, ugly, and lacking in
>> functionality) over which they have no control.
>
> Oh... I suppose.
>
> Still, a newsreader doesn't appear to have those limitations.

I'd like to add that I simply don't have a powerful enough computer to
run the bloatware browsers that most web-apps seem to require.  So if
you move to a pure web forum system, you lose me as well as Aaron.

>> Modern email programs have sophisticated sorting, filtering, scoring,
>> processes and they allow me to read messages while offline, search them
>> locally, etc etc. They have customisable key bindings, they allow me to
>> read all of my mailing lists in one place, they are scriptable, may
>> support plugins... all of this under full user control.
>
> I'd just prefer not to have to wait through 100 emails a day to find the
> few that interest me. With a newsreader, I can simply mark "ignore" on the
> threads that don't interest me, and I'm done.

Why don't you just subscribe to one of the NNTP groups that is 2-way
gatewayed with haskell-cafe?  I can't imagine it being that hard, and it
would fix all of your problems.

Stefan