[Haskell-cafe] Re: Maintaining the community

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Fri Jul 13 07:47:16 EDT 2007

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Dave Bayer wrote:

> As a newcomer I was stunned that this otherwise very sophisticated
> community was using an email list rather than a bulletin board. The
> shear torrent of email was impacting my mail program performance.

This is a cultural thing, and assuming that it's a lack of sophistication
on our part is a bad idea - on the contrary, some of the better reasons to
avoid a web-based board are entirely about enabling sophistication.

Boards need polling. Boards force a single user interface on everyone.
Boards don't enable local archives. Etc etc etc. With mail, you can pick a
client to suit your needs.

> A bulletin board has the capabibility to evolve, e.g. into multiple
> entry points.

So does a mailing list when you own the domain it's hosted on.

flippa at flippac.org

Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire. Most
of the time you just get burnt worse though.