[Haskell-cafe] Re: Maintaining the community

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 13 15:13:31 EDT 2007

Jules Bean wrote:
> I find it incredibly surprising whenever I discover than an otherwise
> sophisticated community has adopted a bulletin board rather than email ;)

Erm... why?

> Conversely, a bulletin board cannot be read offline, traps users into
> a single UI (in every case I've used, slow, ugly, and lacking in
> functionality) over which they have no control.

Oh... I suppose.

Still, a newsreader doesn't appear to have those limitations.

> Modern email programs have sophisticated sorting, filtering, scoring,
> processes and they allow me to read messages while offline, search
> them locally, etc etc. They have customisable key bindings, they allow
> me to read all of my mailing lists in one place, they are scriptable,
> may support plugins... all of this under full user control.

I'd just prefer not to have to wait through 100 emails a day to find the
few that interest me. With a newsreader, I can simply mark "ignore" on
the threads that don't interest me, and I'm done.

(Also, either my ISP or Thunderbird itself keeps magically "loosing"
certain emails, which is rather irritating...)