[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Jonathan Cast jcast at ou.edu
Fri Jul 13 10:29:49 EDT 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> claus.reinke:
> >        personally, i tend to be more willing to answer questions
> >        on the list than to fiddle with wiki markup and conventions,
> >        but there is no reason why people who are happier with
> >        wiki editing cannot extract content from list answers to the
> >        wiki, especially if its a faq answer rather than a research
> >        result.
>
> I've got a few tools that make wiki editing easier (shortcuts to open up
> a new wiki page for editing in vim, syntax highlighting, console
> access). These make wiki editing roughly as cheap as composing an email.
>
> I tried an experiment this week of just taking someone's post (Conor's
> idiom brackets), and putting directly on the wiki first, then letting the
> author know that's happened.
>
> How do people feel about allowing posts in -cafe to be placed on the
> wiki, without extensive prior negotiation?

Well, anything /I/ write is OK. . .

> What copyright do -cafe@
> posts have?

Legally?  I'd imagine it's pretty restrictive; morally, I think we should
encourage people to wave whatever rights they have (like with the wiki).

> If there was a rough consensus that this is ok, we could probably get a
> lot more material directly on the wiki, since I for one would act first,
> putting some interesting Clause Reinke posts there semi-verbatim, rather
> than pondering whether to write an email to the author to seek
> permission, or cojole them into doing it.
>
> Should we feel free to put mailing list material onto the wiki?

We should.  We may not, yet, but that should change.

Jonathan Cast
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fid-core
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fid-emacs