[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Conor McBride ctm at cs.nott.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 11:36:31 EDT 2007

Hi Don

On 13 Jul 2007, at 14:47, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:

> I tried an experiment this week of just taking someone's post
> (Conor's idiom
> brackets), and putting directly on the wiki first, then letting the
> author know that's happened.

Seemed entirely reasonable to me. If I have a spare moment, I might
even finally get around to registering so I can add the other thing I
usually bundle (for inserting effectful computations which don't
contribute an argument to the main function).

 > data Ig  =  Ig

 > instance Idiomatic i f g  => Idiomatic i f (Ig -> i x -> g) where
 >   idiomatic fi Ig xi  = idiomatic (fi <* xi)

so that   iI f a Ig (putStrLn "Boo!") b Ii
is        do {a' <- a; putStrLn "Boo!"; b' <- b; return (f a b)}

If I'm writing for a mailing list, I'm certainly willing (if
surprised) to be exploited in this way.

If there is any legalistic need for explicit permission, then we
should have a permanent permission system on an opt-in basis, perhaps
recorded in some suitable central and accessible place (like,
erm, ...). I'm in.

Cheers

Conor