[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 10:04:22 EDT 2007

Hi

> I tried an experiment this week of just taking someone's post (Conor's idiom
> brackets), and putting directly on the wiki first, then letting the
> author know that's happened.
>
> How do people feel about allowing posts in -cafe to be placed on the
> wiki, without extensive prior negotiation? What copyright do -cafe@
> posts have?

If you email to a public mailing list, you clearly don't have a
problem with verbatim copying, since you already know its going to
appear in loads of different archives. You also don't have a problem
with selected copying, because quoting is how mailing lists work. I'd
just assume that all posts to haskell-cafe are "for the good of
mankind", and then let them be reused at will.

> Should we feel free to put mailing list material onto the wiki?

Yes!

Some people do email this list with disclaimers such as "if this email
was not specifically addressed to you, and you accidentally remember
something from it, we reserve the right to lobotomise you at a future
date" - but I think usually those are company policy rather than
personal choice.

Thanks

Neil