[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri Jul 13 09:47:49 EDT 2007

claus.reinke:

>        personally, i tend to be more willing to answer questions
>        on the list than to fiddle with wiki markup and conventions,
>        but there is no reason why people who are happier with
>        wiki editing cannot extract content from list answers to the
>        wiki, especially if its a faq answer rather than a research
>        result.

I've got a few tools that make wiki editing easier (shortcuts to open up
a new wiki page for editing in vim, syntax highlighting, console
access). These make wiki editing roughly as cheap as composing an email.

I tried an experiment this week of just taking someone's post (Conor's idiom
brackets), and putting directly on the wiki first, then letting the
author know that's happened.

How do people feel about allowing posts in -cafe to be placed on the
wiki, without extensive prior negotiation? What copyright do -cafe@
posts have?

If there was a rough consensus that this is ok, we could probably get a
lot more material directly on the wiki, since I for one would act first,
putting some interesting Clause Reinke posts there semi-verbatim, rather
than pondering whether to write an email to the author to seek
permission, or cojole them into doing it.

Should we feel free to put mailing list material onto the wiki?

-- Don