[Haskell-cafe] HaskellForge?

Alex Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Wed Jan 10 16:29:19 EST 2007

Let's be really specific about what we want to have in this regard:

1. repo hosting
2. repo searching
3. A shared/federated name space mapping module names to the URLs of
repos that implement those modules
4. A dev system that uses the name space to download and import chase
the modules necessary for your program to run
5. A build system that takes a program name and builds/installs it on
your system

For #1, web hosting with ssh access is really cheap and easy.  I've seen
hosting as low as $1/month.  If people here are really unsatisfied with
all the hosting out there.  I am happy to provide simple darcs hosting
on one of my servers for a pittance.

For #2, google works pretty well.  Is there functionality we need that
it misses?

For #3, I made a start with <http://searchpath.org/default.map>.  If
people want me to add other packages to that namespace let me know.
Conceptually, the namespace is federated because you can combine that
file with other files to build a composite namespace.

For #4, I made a start with SearchPath (available at
http://searchpath.org).  Searchpath looks at the source of the haskell
module passed on on the command line and then does recursive import
chasing accross the internet using the set of module maps passed on the
command line.  Currently, is does not handle well modules that use cpp
to import code and it doesn't handle at all modules that have
dependencies on C libraries that are not already local and on the path.

For #5, the platform specific package managers seem like the correct
solution.

Perhaps something important is gained from integrating some subset of
1-5.  Perhaps the particular implementations of #1-5 are lacking in some
manner that is not apparent. Perhaps we just need community acceptance
for a particular version of each of these.

-Alex-