[Haskell-cafe] Hoogle error

jim burton jim at sdf-eu.org
Thu Dec 13 15:34:53 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 20:16 +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Hoogling (->) (>>=) gives
> >
> > Error, your search was invalid:
> > Parse Error: Unexpected character '>>=)'
> >
> > Is there a way to escape the input so it would work? (I wasn't really
> > expecting the right results BTW as I think hoogle searches type
> > signatures not patterns in definitions, right?)
>
> What were you expecting it to give you as an answer?

Hi. Sorry, I should have put the question differently -- is there
sometimes a need to escape hoogle input (i.e. so I could confirm there
were no results, rather than getting an error)? But, thinking about it,
there's no reason that this shouldn't give an error as it isn't a type
sig. (I was looking for source online somewhere of the monad instance
for (->) and only entered it in hoogle out of curiosity...) Sorry to
waste your time! As you were :-)

Jim