[Haskell-cafe] Hoogle error

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 05:50:22 EST 2007

Hi

> Hi. Sorry, I should have put the question differently -- is there
> sometimes a need to escape hoogle input (i.e. so I could confirm there
> were no results, rather than getting an error)?

The only one I'm aware of is that searching for any operator such as
(+) needs to be done without brackets.

> But, thinking about it,
> there's no reason that this shouldn't give an error as it isn't a type
> sig. (I was looking for source online somewhere of the monad instance
> for (->) and only entered it in hoogle out of curiosity...)

If any syntax did work for this, I'd have expected it to be something
like "instance Monad (->)". Unfortunately that won't work, and I'm not
sure I even can make it work in future versions, since Hoogle is
unable to tell where an instance is defined - Haddock abstracts away
this information.

Thanks

Neil