[Haskell-cafe] Haskell RPC

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri May 26 10:51:44 EDT 2006

"S. Alexander Jacobson" <alex at alexjacobson.com> wrote:

> Given that we have no easy way to serialize thunks, the whole RPC
> approach just seems wrong for Haskell.

Tom Shackell is developing a simple bytecode reflection API to be
implemented in the yhc compiler.  This will allow the transmission of
arbitrary function code across the network for execution on a remote
machine, with the results fed back to the calling machine.

e.g.
    encodeF :: (a->b) -> Bytecode (a->b)
    dynload :: Bytecode (a->b) -> (a->b)

Work in progress...  There are doubtless lots of security issues here,
not least type safety....

Regards,
    Malcolm