[Haskell-cafe] Haskell RPC

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Thu May 25 17:31:04 EDT 2006

Given that we have no easy way to serialize thunks, the whole RPC
approach just seems wrong for Haskell.

RPC in general is pretty old school.  REST seems to have worked better
in practice (e.g. HTTP GET/POST!).

For a general description of REST see
http://webservices.xml.com/pub/a/ws/2002/02/06/rest.html

For a summary of the REST vs RPC issue see e.g.
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/05/12/SoapAgain

Note that Amazon exposed both sorts of interfaces and found the REST
style interface much more popular!

That being said, I am actually looking or a good Haskell SOAP client
lib to talk to paypal so YMMV.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com