[Haskell-cafe] library sort

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 08:24:01 EST 2006

> Well, this a bold assumption IMHO, and I'm not particularly
> happy with that, as you can probably imagine.

I would also imagine that Joe Programmer is more likely to use
wxHaskell or Gtk2Hs than those - however because those are outside the
standard tree they don't make it in. I don't think much of TH made it
in either (not becuase of deliberate exclusions, but because of
technical limitations in the tool).

Don't consider these choices to be a recommendation of one package
over another - or a permanent decision. I hope to make all libraries
available at some point.

> Integrating with Haddock makes much sense, and perhaps
> we can bundle Hoogle
> somehow with Haddock,
The data generation is now bundled with Haddock, and as far as I know,
will be in the next release.

Hoogle is both a website, and a command line program, so this is
already partially true that the website is just another instance.

Just to make sure everyone is clear, the near term plans for Hoogle are:

* Fix bugs (esp those relating to Monad and higher kinds)
* Add a user interface to the website to select packages
* Upload lots of packages
* Possibly performance improvements

Unfortunately I'm very busy right now, but give it a month or so and
I'll be able to devote some time to this.

Thanks

Neil