[Haskell-cafe] library sort

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Wed Mar 8 07:00:13 EST 2006

Am Dienstag, 7. März 2006 14:24 schrieb Neil Mitchell:
> I would also imagine that Joe Programmer is more likely to use
> wxHaskell or Gtk2Hs than those [...]

Just a (hopefully final) remark about this, because the above statement seems
to imply something that is not completely true: 3 of the 4 packages I've
mentioned, i.e. OpenGL (rendering) and OpenAL/ALUT (sound) do not compete in
any way with the GUI packages mentioned above, they can be happily used with
those. And regarding the 4th package (GLUT): It very much depends on which
book you read first, lots of OpenGL books use GLUT as their GUI toolkit and
do this for a very good reason (reproducibility, widespread availibility,
ease of use for simple up to medium-sized programs etc.). For a larger
application other GUI toolkits are probably a better choice, and all of the
serious ones offer an OpenGL canvas to render on, anyway.

I just had to reply because lots of people seem to confuse GUI issues with
rendering issues, which are two completely different beasts, and this might
lead to various preconceptions.

> The data generation is now bundled with Haddock, and as far as I know,
> will be in the next release. [...]

That's good to hear. I really have to take a closer look at the current state
of the former fptools projects, but my job and the switch to darcs got in the
way...

Thanks for a really nice tool,
   S.