[Haskell-cafe] library sort

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Tue Mar 7 05:35:32 EST 2006

Am Samstag, 4. März 2006 21:30 schrieb Neil Mitchell:
> > And a related question is: Which packages are searchable by Hoogle?
>
> The best answer to that is "some". I intentionally excluded OpenGL and
> other graphics ones because they have a large interface and yet are
> not used by most people using Haskell. [...]

Well, this a bold assumption IMHO, and I'm not particularly happy with that,
as you can probably imagine. For my part, I would assume that Joe Programmer
is much more likely to use some multimedia packages than TH or Data.Graph.*
etc., but this is a bold assumption on *my* side...

> I have recently patched Haddock so it will directly generate Hoogle
> information, and am in the process of modifying  hoogle so that you
> can pick which libraries or applications to search. Hopefully once
> this is all done, the standard web hoogle interface will allow
> searching OpenGL libraries, if the user selects that as an option -
> and also allow searching other libaries/applications such as
> GHC/Yhc/Darcs/Gtk2Hs as selected by the user. [...]

Integrating with Haddock makes much sense, and perhaps we can bundle Hoogle
somehow with Haddock, so everybody can use Hoogle locally on the whole set of
packages which are installed. The current Hoogle website would then just be
an instance of that bundle. Are there any plans in this direction?

Cheers,
   S.