[Haskell-cafe] Project postmortem II /Haskell vs. Erlang/

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 05:51:14 EST 2006

Yes, that _is_ obvious but then puts the burden on the programmer to
define the getters. It also misses the setters issue entirely.

Each field can definitely be made into a class and records can be
composed dynamically, HList-style. I think HList is _the_ facility
for doing this.

How do you create a "record" that has a field dictionary for updates
and retrievals and stores the order of the fields for serialization?
I think HList does provide for the order of records since it keeps
them in a list of sorts.

Can serialization of these HList-style records serialization be
efficient in this case? Would updating fields be efficient?

I tried composing my records using HList and that made GHC run out of
memory and bomb out. Simon Peyton-Jones fixed the problem promptly
but since I was not familiar with the profiler at the time I never
got to measuring the pickling efficiency. I figured if it's that
tough on the compiler then maybe I should pick an easier path.

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/