[Haskell-cafe] Aim Of Haskell

Kirsten Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 08:28:18 EST 2006

On 12/12/06, Brian Hulley <brianh at metamilk.com> wrote:
> Neil Mitchell wrote:
> > Maybe we
> > should try and hijack the phrase functional programming - Haskell is
> > just too similar to Pascal.
>
> This reminds me of when I was getting an X-ray a few months ago and I struck
> up a conversation with the radiologist who turned out to be an ex-computer
> programmer so he asked what language I was using so I said "Haskell" and he
> said something like "Oh yeah Pascal I know that..."
>
> Perhaps we need a tutorial on how to pronounce the word "Haskell" so that it
> doesn't sound like "Pascal" :-) (eg "Hiskeeeell")

Actually, the more I think of it, the more I think we should rename
the language altogether. It seems like people say "Haskell" with
stress on the first syllable if they were either on the committee or
learned it inside academia, and "Haskell" with stress on the second
syllable if they learned it from online sources. And we really don't
need more pronunciation-based class distinctions.

"Curry" would have avoided this problem.

Cheers,
Kirsten

--
Kirsten Chevalier* chevalier at alum.wellesley.edu *Often in error, never in doubt
"It was cold in the house so I slept in my car / And I steamed up the windows,